It’s all fun and games until every utensil in my kitchen was piled up by the sink. I had to eat plain pasta because I hadn’t left my house in so long. I watched the entire box set of Friends in 2 months. Yup- 10 seasons. 24 episodes in each….. -ahh maths- so like 100 HOURS of “Could you BE any lazier?”. There are online courses I could have completed in the same amount of time! Don’t IDLE time away, there might not be any left when you need it. If you’re an expat like me SHAME ON US(!!!) We uprooted our entire lives just to do the exact same thing we’d be doing if we’d just stayed put.
Signs watching TV has taken over your life and become a hindrance to fulfilling your true potential:
- True potential? What’s that?
- You never turn off your TV/computer/tablet/phone
- If you do turn it off, the first thing you do in the morning is turn it back on
- You watch while you eat, bath, maybe even while you’re on the loo
- You watch while you go out for a cig
- It’s 10pm and you say ‘just one more episode’ but then it’s 3AM and you have to be up at 8
- You cancel plans because you’d rather slob about watching tv
- You don’t even LIKE what you’re watching but it’s there to be watched
- Leaving the house in order to buy milk or toilet paper is such a god damn NUISANCE
Just start with losing say, an hour a day, and DO SOMETHING PRODUCTIVE with it. I know it’s great to relax with a good series or a film you don’t have to spend ages searching a decent a link for, but you might find that putting your energy into something productive, something you really enjoy.. is just as relaxing, or even BETTER that staring at a screen.. invigorating even! Motivating! Where could it take you?
All I know is I was so much sadder while binging than now. Life seemed very quiet, I was very quiet.. there were entire days where I didn’t speak (including social media) to a SINGLE person. Don’t do it to yourself.
*This is part of my 2017 project to recall the lessons life throws at me so that 23 won’t just be another year like the others, but one of contemplation and growth. What have you learnt so far this year? Do you binge watch trash TV like me? What are you putting off? What are you hiding from?